7.27.2011

Verameat: jewelry for the twisted little kid in all of us





A few weeks back my friend Claire took me to the East Village flagship store opening of her favorite jeweler Verameat , located on East 9th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues. I have always admired Claire's Verameat jewelry- there is something so raw, and yet irreverent and silly, about the hand hanging from her neck and her sterling silver knuckle ring made from the mold of a set of teeth.  The artist behind the line, Vera Balyura, was at the store opening and we got to chatting. She informed me that this denture-type design was made from actual molds of her own, uniquely vampire-like, teeth.  

There were so many different, whimsical, yet comical, yet horrifying charms to choose from: little cowboys shooting guns, airplanes, french bulldog heads, sea creatures, and the list goes on.  I walked away having purchased a Wolf charm necklace- 14K gold fill over gold brass - and I have gotten countless compliments on it since.  There is something for the twisted little kid in all of us from Verameat's line and I'll definitely be returning for more.