7.18.2011

Transparency - how to and how to not

J. Mendel, Alberta Ferreti, Givenchy Spring 2011 RTW, images: nymag.com





Wife Beater- H&M
Printed Skirt- Forever 21
Translucent Dress- Vintage
Wrist Cuffs- Forever 21
Sun Glasses- Ray Ban Wayfarers
Whistle Necklace- Forever 21
Wedge Booties- Bebe
Floppy Hat- NYC street vendor
It is Monday morning and, after a weekend of fun in the sun, I'm exhausted and need another weekend to recover yo.  This cup of coffee is barely getting me off my feet.  Fortunately I have these photos that I've been meaning to post.  They're from a shoot that I did a few weeks back with photographer Mario Torres and stylist Jamar Graham.

Jamar and I put a translucent black dress over a wife beater and a tribal print skirt.  The effect is ethereal and romantic.  Full disclosure: I'm not a huge fan of the long translucent maxi skirt over short opaque maxi skirt trend because the proportions feel odd and kitschy to me.  I'm not into fashion "tricks". I do, however, like the way this combination worked out because, rather than just a translucent skirt, this is a dress which elongates the frame. Also the tribal print of the skirt underneath added extra dimension and interest.  See below how NOT to wear this trend. In this image there are too many things going on, too many layers, the white the orange, the velvet, the bowler, the boots. YIKES.  Too distracting and not cohesive.  Fashion Trickery = Yuk.


DON'T DO THIS