10.27.2010

Yolandi Vi$$er









Last night my friend and partner Jamar Graham (@TreatedMaterial) turned me on to the hip hop group Die Antwoord, from Cape Town South Africa. I was immediately lured in by the obscene and wild imagery from their videos (read: they wear rats), their bust ya shit open beats, their controversial messages, oh… and then their was Yolandi Vi$$er, the high pitched female vocalist. A few moments spent contemplating the pixie Afrikaner, whose beach blonde beauty came with balls only comparable to Debbie Harry's, and another rocker chick girl crush happened fast. And this morning I'm continuing my week of blog ogling rock chix with sweet ass styz. I hope you'll bear with me on my little idolization bender.

A little bit of image searching this morning and I realized one of my favorite photos, that I've already posted on this blog, is the 2nd half of Yolandi's body (see last photo). What called me to the photo in the first place is exactly what I love about Yolandi- sometimes she looks like a character straight out of the early 80's club scene. In fact, that's where I thought this picture was from. Move your eyes upward however and her fashion forward, shorn mullet-ish haircut, brings us straight into 2010 (and beyond). She can wear gold spandex with abandon. She is endlessly versatile and can be both childish and sexy in a way that is different from any other female rockstar I've seen. She goes from bombshell, to child, to child in a halloween costume in milliseconds. Sometimes dressing in spandex and crop tops, sometimes taking off all her clothes completely, sometimes dressing like a child in t-shirts and short shorts, or in oversized pajama type outfits or one-sies, or like a creepy character from Lord of the Rings. There is something both off-putting and endearing about her antics. Oh and she is really, really HOT.